In July 2020, an intermunicipal agreement (IMA) between Dutchess County and the City of Poughkeepsie was established with the purpose of creating a land bank to help address
- vacant and abandoned property by promoting home ownership;
- reducing blight and revitalizing neighborhoods;
- supporting economic development by rehabilitating and returning abandoned, vacant and tax-delinquent properties to the market place;
- protecting and restoring properties of historic and architectural value;
- undertaking demolition where necessary thereby creating open space or opportunities for new construction;
- preserving and creating open and green space development based on community needs;
- and fostering inclusionary development practices with community input.
Board of Directors
The IMA established the land bank’s board of directors structure, consisting of nine directors, each serving without compensation.
- Two directors are appointed by the City of Poughkeepsie Common Council.
- Two directors are appointed by the Dutchess County Executive.
- Two directors are appointed by the Dutchess County Legislature.
- Two directors are appointed by the City of Poughkeepsie Mayor.
- One director is appointed jointly by the County Executive and the Mayor, subject to confirmation by the County Legislature and the Poughkeepsie Common Council.